The National Codex Alimentarius Committee (CNC) held its 20th session on Thursday, December 26, 2013 at the headquarters of the National Food Safety Office.
Under the chairmanship of the Director General of ONSSA, Mr Ahmed BENTOUHAMI, this session was attended by 37 members representing ministerial departments, the profession and consumer protection associations.
Following the presentation of the assessment of Morocco’s participation in Codex work for the year 2012 – 2013 and the constraints and difficulties related to the functioning of the CNC. A debate took place and during which the representatives of several structures expressed themselves on a certain number of points; notably:
– Reflect on proposals for financial assistance to improve work at the CNC level (e.g. carry out specific studies or scientific or other research to strengthen national positions);
– Hold Codex awareness events for CNC members; especially professionals;
– Capitalize data for certain studies and scientific data that the Scientific Research department can make available to the CNC.
The 20th session was closed by the Director General of ONSSA after reading the recommendations adopted by the National Codex Alimentarius Committee, namely:
- Sensitize the political and administrative authorities in order to give greater priority to the activities of the Codex Alimentarius in Morocco. An awareness and advocacy note will be sent by ONSSA to the ministerial departments that are members of the CNC;
- Cooperate with regional Codex committees to support Moroccan positions (CCAfrica, CCNEA, etc.);
- Raise the awareness of the various CNC components and in particular the professionals of the work of the Codex Alimentarius. An awareness day will be organized by ONSSA in 2014 on this subject;
- Capitalize on the scientific data available at the level of the various ministerial departments.